Thursday, February 2, 2012

Antique furniture guilt.

Standing in my hallway is a really beautifully made table that has been in my family for at least 100 years.  Unfortunately like everything else in the house it is worn out, and tired, and badly in need of a coat of paint, or sanding, or both.  But I'm paralyzed by my Antique Furniture Guilt.  It's the same guilt that has our 150 year old dining table in the garage rather than being eaten on lest it get ruined or scratched or one of those white water rings.

I have made a point of not letting my possessions own me but am failing where it comes to these old things.  I'll never sell them, so why does it matter if I "destroy the value" by painting the entryway table to make a beautiful impact.  Like this one from  Anne Coyle which was in the HGTV Magazine this month:


How gorgeous is that?! 

or this one from SimplebutMatters.com 


one more:
(this time featured on betterafter.blogspot.com)



Finally, don't judge me, I've been living with this table for 35 years, the last 13 of those I've actually owned it.  And I've felt guilty to do anything but dust it! 



What do you think? Lemon yellow? Kelly Green? Bright Tangerine? 
Either way, it is headed for a change or it is headed for the attic.
And what good will it do me up there?




9 comments:

  1. Oh yeah...I think Tommy would cry if I ever painted a real antique. Probably because the only real antiques came from his family, not mine! I love the idea of yellow or turquoise, but I say that about everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you find out if it's really worth anything the way it is before painting it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not paint it tangerine and then do your bottle cap thing in the top tray part? Maybe not bottle caps, but something. Spray paint a doiley on it. But I would definitely do it with no guilt. Bring her over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could and probably should- I don't know where to go or what it would mean, other than that I'd put it into the attic rather than paint it, it is just too ugly to stay downstairs and to remain a focal point. I have one of these inlaid Martha Washington Tables that has seen better days that I still need to find a home for as well and am afraid to paint... http://www.ctonlineauctions.com/detail.asp?id=3806

    I don't have a lot of stuff but keeping ugly furniture that I can't use makes me feel a little bit like a hoarder, just without the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh, you could decoupage family photos on the top. If you want to keep it old looking, do black and white or sepia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda love the bottle cap idea! I'd have to make a separate piece with the bottle caps and set it in the table- it originally had a marble slab top but that went missing when my great aunt's parents had it. (they used the slab to cover a hole in their back yard, and *I* feel guilty that I'm mistreating the piece!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PAINT IT and love it! If someone else inherits it later on down the road, let them strip it and bitch about it. Natchyerproblem. :)

    The best thing I ever did was spray my Mema's antique solid wood (with wicker-y inserts) headboard glossy black - its a fabulous part of (what I feel is) my glam bedroom. It was taking up closet space before I got crafty a few years back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really get the appeal of matte color finishes on antique furniture, the appeal to me mostly resides in the classic wooden appearance. And as for the restoration, pick something that matches with the rest of your houses' color scheme, no need to make a piece too unique.

    ReplyDelete